County Clerk’s office issuing IDs for Lake Co. residents
by Sabrina Bates
MVP Regional News Editor
County Clerk’s office issuing IDs for Lake Co. residents The REAL ID Act of 2005 makes it a requirement for people who board flights in the United States to do so using a REAL ID. Beginning May 3, 2023, residents 18 and older will be required to present a REAL ID to access federal buildings, fly
domestically or enter military installations across the country.
Lake County residents are directed to obtain a REAL ID at the Lake County Court Clerk’s Office, 116 S. Court St., Tiptonville, TN 38079. Appointments are required and available by calling 731-253-7582, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. For an initial issuance of the REAL ID, people
must apply in person.
Those with a current passport may still fly domestically in the country after the REAL ID implementation date goes into effect. However, a REAL ID will be necessary to gain access to federal buildings requiring a photo ID or military installations for those who don’t have a military ID.
The REAL ID is a type of photo identification with a gold star stamped onto it in Tennessee. For most, a gold star will be added to their driver’s license.
A REAL ID is deemed optional for anyone. Those who need to renew their driver’s license between now and May 2023 must request a REAL ID if they choose to obtain one. Those wanting a REAL ID whose license is not set for renewal will be issued a duplicate for a $8-12 fee, including other costs charged by county clerks’ offices and driver services centers.
Expect to have a photo taken for the issuance of a REAL ID.
Those needing to apply for a REAL ID are expected to bring the following documentation:
- A birth certificate or valid passport or other form of proof of full citizenship;
- Proof of full Social Security number;
- Two proofs of Tennessee residency such as a utility bill, check stubs, vehicle registration, W2, voter registration card, etc.
- Those who have had name changes that differ from their birth certificate or proof of citizenship
- are also required to bring certified, official documentation of the name changes.
- These may include marriage licenses or divorce decrees.
- A paper copy of the REAL ID will be issued immediately, with the hard copy expected in the mail 10-20 days later.
For more information about the REAL ID, visit https://www.tn.gov/tnrealid/get-real-id.html.